In 1999, computer viruses were the rage and been making headlines for years, but the term spyware was new and just beginning to show its menacing face. Computer operators around the world became ever more frustrated as hackers (out for monetary gain) were taking control of their PCs to show advertising, stealing their personal information, and modifying their search results. With the first commercial application, Lavasoft became the pioneer of anti-spyware and remains a leader in the industry today with several antivirus companies using our technology to help combat this ever-growing threat.
Lavasoft SecureSearch Homepage, Default Search and toolbar is a Security add-on for the browser.
It gets installed as an option along the antivirus Ad-Aware.
It provides an extra security layer by protecting the user to land on phishing and malware sites.
In order to keep the list up-to-date, new malware urls definitions are downloaded every 5-30 minutes.
If you think that you do not need a web and anti-phishing protection, please find below the instructions to remove the Ad-Aware Security Add-on from your browser:
To remove your toolbar from Internet Explorer only
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click on the cross at the left of the Toolbar
To remove your toolbar from Firefox only
1. Open Firefox
2. Click on the top left on Firefox > Add-Ons
3. Click on the button "Disable" on the Extension "Ad-Aware Security Add-on"
To remove your toolbar from Chrome only
1. Open Chrome
2. Click on the top right on the button then on settings
3. Disable or Remove the Extension "Ad-Aware Security Add-on".
To reset your homepage in Internet Explorer, please follow these steps
1. Go into tools > Internet Options
2. Type the Homepage address you would like to use in the textbox in the homepage section
3. Click Apply, then click OK
To reset your default search in Internet Explorer, please follow these steps:
1. Go into Tools > Internet Options
2. Under Search in the General Tab, click Settings
3. Choose the search provider you wish to use and click Close
4. Click Apply, then click OK
To reset your homepage in Firefox, please follow these steps:
1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox and then click Options
2. Select the General Panel
3. Type the Homepage address you would like to use in the textbox in the homepage section
4. Click OK
To reset your default search in Firefox, please follow these steps:
1. Type about:config in the address bar
2. Search for keyword.URL and double click on it.
3. Change the value for the Search engine you want
Google = http://www.google.com/search?&q=
Yahoo = http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=
Bing = http://www.bing.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=
4. Click OK
To reset your homepage in Google Chrome, please follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome. Click on the Customize and Control Google Chrome icon on the right of the browser
2. Select Settings and go to the On Startup section
3. Click on "Set pages" and insert the URL of your desired Home Pages.
4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
To reset your default search in Google Chrome, please follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome. Click on the Customize and Control Google Chrome icon.
2. Select "Settings" and go to the Search section.
3. Select "Manage Search Engines",
4. Select the Search Engine you want to use and click on "make default"
5. Click OK to save the changes.