- Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+
- Ad-Aware Personal Security
- Ad-Aware Pro Security
- Ad-Aware Total Security
- Ad-Aware Business Security
- PC Tuneup
- Data Security
- Trial Center
- Security Center
- English ▾
- Contact Us
PCs: 1 Billion Served
New research out this week from Gartner tells us that the amount of PCs being used around the world has now passed the 1 billion mark, and that number is set to double in the next 6 years.
But PC use is not the only thing rising in record numbers - so is the negative environmental impact of our reliance on gadgets. "We estimate ... some 35 million PCs will be dumped into landfills with little or no regard for their toxic content,- a Gartner analyst said.
With the official start of summertime this past weekend, it's a fitting time for us all to think a little greener. Below are 3 simple tips we've put together to get a little green in your computing life this summer. It can be easy being green!
- Turn your computer off when it's not in use. Use "sleep mode" or turn your PC fully off when you're not using it to save energy. This will also help monitor equipment run cooler and last longer.
- Watch paper print-out consumption. Software like GreenPrint, which eliminates waste associated with printing, may help you to get the job done easier.
- Recycle your old PC. PCs and computer parts set out in the regular trash can end up in landfills, where they'll release lead, mercury and other toxins into the environment. To get more information about recycling electronics in your area, visit helpful sites like www.computertakeback.com or www.earth911.org.