- Security Center
- English ▾
How to Remove SpeedUpMyPC 2014
SpeedUpMyPC 2014 (developed by Uniblue Systems Limited) is a paid system performance optimizer program that usually comes to your PC with free software using pay-per-install bundling marketing method. So a user may not be aware why with every PC start a blue window appears on desktop doing an automatic PC diagnosis without any approval.
Even though it is no doubt a great application, however some of Uniblue's partners are using dishonest tactics into tricking users to install the product.
When it launches 1st time, the only option is to click on ‘Next’, so it forces you to complete a few steps and start a system scan before you can close the program (there is no ‘Exit’/‘Close’ button in the initial window):
Once the scan is complete, and a lot of errors are found, one of the options is to buy a license key to fix these errors:
And if you are brave enough to ignore all these issues, it is not that easy to close program window. If you click on ‘Close’, a new window opens with a bright ‘Purchase Now’ and almost invisible ‘Exit’ buttons (if you click on ‘x’ trying to close this window, the main SpeedUpMyPC interface with scan results appears again).
Its folder size in Program Files is about 61 MB; so if the program is installed to your PC by chance, more than enough place will be used on your system drive in vain.
It may give you an option to disable important start-up processes (Java update, antivirus services etc.) that may cause functionality issues with some applications in future. So we do not recommend blindly fixing all the issues it finds, if you decide to buy a license key.
Despite the fact that SpeedUpMyPC is promoted as a tool that improves your computer's performance, and advice to remove a lot of programs from start-up, it creates his own 2 start-up tasks in your Task Scheduler (SpeedUpMyPC Maintenance and SpeedUpMyPC Startup) - to launch the application without user's initiation. It is usually done to avoid any UAC prompts, and it slows down your boot time.
If you want to remove SpeedUpMyPC from your PC, please find below uninstallation steps.
Note. This is a self-help guide. Use it at your own risk. This article is provided "as is" and to be used for information purposes.
1. Before you start, please make sure you are logged as a system administrator. Also, please save a copy of your important documents/files on an external hard drive.
2. From your desktop, click on Windows Start button and choose Control Panel
• Click ‘Programs and Features’ (Windows Vista, 7 and 8)/‘Add or Remove Programs’ (Windows XP).
• Find ‘SpeedUpMyPC’ by Uniblue Systems Limited in the list, right-click on it and choose ‘Uninstall’.
• Restart your PC
3. Please make sure that hidden files in your Windows Explorer are visible: Start –> Control Panel (Appearance and Personalization) –> Folder Options –> ‘View’ tab –> find ‘Hidden files and folders’ and choose an option ‘Show hidden files, folders, and drives’.
4. Follow this path - C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Temp -> highlight all the files/folders here -> press ‘Shift’+’Delete’ and click ‘Yes’ to completely clean this folder (Note. If you receive a message that file cannot be removed, just skip the file in question).
5. Please find the directories below and make sure that all the SpeedUpMyPC files/folders are removed (you may not find some of the components, it is normal):
6. Now please remove SpeedUpMyPC traces from your registry. Before you start, please make sure you understand how important this part of your PC is. You cannot restore data from here once you delete something (‘Ctrl+Z’ never works in Registry Editor). And if you delete an incorrect component by mistake, it may damage your OS and make it unusable.
• To open the Registry, press ‘Win+R’ keys on your keyboard -> in the opened window type regedit and press ‘Enter’.
• Highlight main registry section called ‘Computer’ -> press Ctrl+F keys on your keyboard -> make sure Keys, Values, Data boxes in the ‘Find’ window are checked -> type speedupmypc in the search field and click OK. Search results will highlight a key/value/data that contains SpeedUpMyPC components. If you find the exact name of program you want to remove, right click on the element in question and choose ‘Delete’ from the context menu. If it’s a value/data, right click on the value and choose ‘Modify’, then highlight harmful data and press ‘Delete’ key on your keyboard.
• Use F3 key to continue the search and to find all the necessary files.
• Exit the registry editor.
7. Finally, please install Ad-Aware to make sure you don’t have any infections on your machine:
• Click here to download Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ and follow installation instructions from Ad-Aware User Guide (‘Installation and Uninstallation’ -> ‘Ad-Aware Install’ section).
• Perform a full scan of your PC with Ad-Aware (following Ad-Aware User guide: ‘Scanning System’ -> ‘Running a scan’ section).
• Restart your PC.
Lastly, it is recommended to always keep your antivirus program up-to-date with a real-time protection turned on, and perform weekly full scans to stay protected at all times.